Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Head for the hills...

So I live in the "Low Country" of Georgia. We do not have hills. We do not have small rises or even bumps in the road...So in training for the hills (or mountains as I like to think of them) in this upcoming marathon I have got to find a way to get in some hill work. There is the Eugene Talmidge Memorial Bridge. 3/4 mile rise at 5.5%, that is a tough climb, but you have to share the road with semi-trucks and impatient commuters rushing to get home to catch the season finale of American Idol's Top Chef Survivor Real World Makeover Home Edition. So, the next best thing I have discovered is one of our many parking garages. Let me begin with this disclaimer; there is a big sign at the entrace of the State Street Parking Garage that says "No Pedestrians" Therefore what I am doing is probably wrong. Moving on. So, I warmed up with a 1.5 mile run amongst the many tourists milling aimlessly on Broughton St. Then a little streching and I tackled the .33 mile climb to the top of the parking garage. The best parking is taking the elevator back down to the bottom, hey, i am trying to get the repeats in quicker... Four total trips today:
3:36
3:30
3:25
3:28
Fairly consistant.
I ran back down the garage on the last rep and ran another mile cool down. Total workout time was about forty minutes. I would like to try and get this workout in once a week. Maybe alternate it with the bridge workout, when the traffic isn't that bad...I will keep at it. One foot in front of the other, one step at a time.

No comments: