Sunday, June 7, 2009

One More Minute....

The day had finally arrived, "Double Digit Sunday!" We were going to tackle ten miles this morning, come hell or high water and I think my HP was testing me with the high water part. Woke up at 6AM and it was raining....

Crap, I don't have to run today...

But I need to run, wait, I WANT to run today.

I want to see if I can do it.

Almost as if he was listening the rain stopped and I got out of bed and walked the dudes. Ate my powerbar, applied nipple band-aids (sorry if that is too much info) and headed out the door to the car.

Cubbie was waiting for me at the Village and boy was she happy to be alive. In her defense, she got up at like 3am to start her day so she would have time to run....If you look up dedication in the dictionary it will say, "see Cubbie"

I say that so I can say this...I hate her. okay hate is a strong word, some mornings I dislike her more than others. Today was that day...Insert Convo...

"So uh, the route that I told you about is actually 11 miles."

me-"but we are only scheduled for ten today, my good friend, buddy ol pal." ( Okay so I just made up the second half of that statement)

"Yeah, but I really don't know a ten mile route, so I figured we could do this one"
"Oh, and by the way, I told Kevin and Steve yesterday that we were running 11 miles but you only thought we were running 10. Yeah man, it will be fun!"

I hate her....

We started our run and twenty minutes in we started getting sprinkled on, not to be detered we soldiered on...what's a little rain, we are RUNNERS!

Rain stopped ten minutes after it started and the next thing I knew we were at the 1 hour mark and I felt great. The conversation was light, in my head I was also devising a plan for payback for the 10/11 mile switcheroo...I was thinking speedwork, that is Cubbbie's Kryptonyte. Yeah, that's the ticket, sneak attack speedwork...

Hips and right knee really started to wake up at an hour and a half into the run. I tried the usual, pain is temporary, blah, blah blah. Let's just get to 1:40 and I can walk. It was at that point that I remembered reading a blog about how the pain would go away as soon as the run was over. That is was just my brain trying to get me to quit. I knew I could make it to two hours. That was my goal. I needed to do this, to prove to myself that I could. That I was a runner, that I belonged out there. I looked at my watch and it read 1:42:35. 17 more minutes. Come on music...where is Outkast when I need them? 1:46:02...13 more minutes. If I can just get to 1:50 I can walk.

No, walking is not an option.

1:52...I can do anything for 8 minutes.

Wait is this the Cure? I haven't heard this song in forever...Oh, I remember who I was dating when this song came out, she was alot of fun...Opps, sorry, my mother reads my blog now....

I am so close I can see the end of the run.

2:00 and I was there.

I have never run for two hours straight ever in my entire life. I got there one foot in front of the other, one step at a time.

Of course there was still about another half mile left to get back to the car but that didn't matter we walked/ran the rest and felt great!

I have the best running partner in the world, she never left me. We have had back to back great runs. Fridays 4.5 mile run was fantastic. It is official, We are Runners!

News Sunday, we are doing a half marathon with Uzman and the Chicago Marathon training group....and I have all week to think about it.

No comments: