Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Must focus....

I can’t frickin take it anymore! I’m sitting here at my desk working on a stupid “Owner’s PPT” and all I can think about is the Sirens’ song that is Sweetwater… I do about 10 minutes worth of work, finish off a slide and then I sneak back over to the elevation profile from last year’s course and examine all of the ups and downs – trying to figure out which one will break my heart…

Then I try to get back on task and bust out another slide-

Oops, here comes another email from C$, this one was written as if he was in my own head. “ the start (first 3-6 miles) is waaay tame and chatty.” This course lulls you to sleep, it starts so gentle. Last year, early on, I remember thinking I had found the new love of my life – little did I know this temptress had two sides….

Crap! I really need to get this PPT done – but I don’t wanna

Just look at her, she’s so pretty. Look at those purty white caps running down the river, stones jutting out of the shoal. Mmm, running effortlessly along the shore, listening to the waterfalls in the distance. How can this ever turn for the worse?

Damn – another email from the Director asking for a Q1 comparison of lead booking window for 2010-2011

Screw them, the Owner’s meeting isn’t until the 20th. Back to SweetH20 – I can see myself barreling down the decents, trying to hold back a little as to not blow up too soon…Whoa!?!?! What about those scrumptious rice krispy treats that were at the river crossing aid station last year? I hope that they will have those again!

Okay, I need to get another slide done – only 6 more to go…

Careful, don’t forget how hard that 2nd pass was through the gas/powerlines last year. How many times did you “quit running forever”? “Maybe ultras aren’t for me, I’m going to stick to running flat, 5k’s in Savannah – this is stupid” shhh, don’t listen to them. Embrace the pain, you know it will be coming this year, manage the course better – this is your choice.


How am I going to get ANY work done this week?????

Is it Saturday yet?

(only 5 more slides to go)

11 comments:

Psyche said...

Bwahahahaha!!! I was having such a crappy day at work yesterday and the e-mail thread going around for this race was the only thing allowing me to keep my sanity:))

I can't wait to see you (Big E, Weezy, C$, Diesel, Elson, etc.) Saturday for this BEAST of a race. In case you miss me, look back- I'll be the one CHASING YOUR ASS DOWN!

JojaJogger said...

Have a great time out there, wish I was joining you.

KovasP said...

Great post and great progress, one slide at a time!

JaSexxy said...

That's awesome! LOL. Excited for you even though I'm not a runner. Can't wait to read about it when you finish. GL!

Jim said...

LOL. I was that way before Umstead 100, but instead the week, it was the whole month for me. Have a great race!

it's all about pace said...

let work slide.... :-)

looking forward to your report

Turbo Photographs said...

Go get 'em GA SNAIL!!!!!!!!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

LOL This is a typical day for me. Just a different task and different distractions.

Kate Geisen said...

You need my job...one of the greatest perks (besides the joy of molding young minds yada yada) is the fact that, once the kids are in here, it's impossible to focus on anything other than putting all of my energy into teaching. Of course, that's not so great when I'm supposed to remember to call for a dr's appt for one of my kids or something like that...

Excited for you! Keep plugging away. :) The weekend will be here sooon.

Running Through Phoenix said...

Dude!! Taper madness has you. Embrace the madness, you've earned it.

MCM Mama said...

Taper madness will be over soon enough.

Good luck!!!