Monday, April 11, 2011

The Hay is in the Barn...


All of the training over the last 4 months has been in preparation for this race; my 1st "A" race of the year.

SweetH20 50K!

The time to beat is 8:12:25 - Last year's result.

In prep, I've run about 350 training miles, lost 20 pounds & spent a great deal more time on trail this year. I have great expectations!

While out running this weekend, my mind wandered over to the idea of my goals for this race. I established a time goal early on in the training process and looking over the numbers, I believe this goal is most certainly within reach. I've run with a lot of runners this year who have previously run Sweetwater and come in with times similar to my goals. My level of fitness is far greater now than a year ago. Last year, this was my first trail race & first 50k. I am certainly not saying I am no longer a trail/ultra noob - but I am very familiar with the course and have a better idea of the mentality required to tackle such a monster. With about 3000+ ft of gain (and loss)over the entire route, it is not "too much" but relentless none the less. The gas/powerline cuts are brutal and unyielding. It's the 2nd loop that really takes it's toll.

Knowing all of this - I have a few goals that are not time related.

*Stay in the moment - This course breaks up into several manageable sections. I am going to work each section with a strategy in mind.

* Enjoy the company - Music is typically reserved for long, solo runs. No need for music here, Top of the World will be singing to us. The race having sold out, there will be 250 registered runners stretched out over the 15 mile loop - Many whom I have had the pleasure of running with previously. this is going to be a giant party and I look forward to seeing old friends and making new ones!

* Keep the R.I.S.C. at bay.(Running is Stupid Committee)
There will be several low moments during this race, I intend to work through them and veto any legislation passed.

* Not get "Schicked"
Richard Schick, 61, is a local running stalwart and he "schick's" A LOT of people....he ran a 6:33 last year and finished 32 out of 155...chances are, I will get "Schicked".

In the interest of full disclosure - I do have a time goal in mind. I thought about setting an A, B, & C goal -sort of give myself an out. Nope. We are aiming for the stars!

6:45

Almost an hour and a half faster than last year. This will put me in the top 20-25% of finishers I think. This is an achievable goal and I look forward to seeing how it plays out. The weather forecast is decent, high of 63, with a 20% chance of showers. I can handle the rain & I love the temp range!

So - send some good running karma our way and I will let you know how it went!

I've come a long way in a few short years...

23 comments:

ajh said...

Good luck. You are more than ready.

Jason said...

You're going to knock it out of the park!

Wes said...

sounds like a blast. If I do an ultra, it's nice to know one is nearby... I'm sure you're familiar with s.m.a.r.t. goal setting, and I'd say your goals are very s.m.a.r.t. and ambitious! GOOD LUCK!

Lesser is More said...

Very impressive on all the weight loss over the years! Sounds like you're ready for a great day of running - best of luck!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Congrats on the weightloss! I'm sure the goals are attainable. I'll give the RISC the wrong directions to the race!

JojaJogger said...

Good luck out there. Run smart and most of all, have fun!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

You're gonna kill this mother.

Good running vibes sent your way!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I've come a long way in a few short years...

Well, for one thing, you've learned to stand up.

Good luck with you Ultra lunacy, Peachy!

KovasP said...

Nice job setting an ambitious goal - enjoy the day!

Jen Feeny said...

You're going to rock this, no questions asked. Dream strong and run like the wind!

Karen said...

Have a great race! I was so tempted to run it this year but will have to wait until 2012. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I flew all the way from Houston to Atlanta so I could send you karma from as close as possible to ensure you received it. You are going to have a great run!

it's all about pace said...

weight loss = speed... just get out there and rock it!

Dirty Running said...

Have a great race. You have already accomplished a lot. The race is the fun part...enjoy it.

Dxrunner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dxrunner said...

Your going to Rock this!!

RockStarTri said...

The only way you could be more ready would be if this turns into a dual with some Carolinian if you know what I mean.

You have so got this. Be sure to enjoy it!

joyRuN said...

You're going to be AWESOME!!!!

Good luck :D

Jim said...

Good luck! You can do it!

Joe said...

The week is here!! Run smooth, stay in the moment and enjoy it to the hilt!

Kate Geisen said...

That's a big change. Nice!

I can't wait to hear how it goes. Best of luck!! I love your RISC remark. I'm stealing that for my next post, because the RISC was out in full force on my Saturday run.

Anne said...

Good luck. The missing 20 pounds will really help you lower that race time this year.

imtheguz said...

Best of luck out there!!