Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day Dad, to you and to all of your compatriots.

He will return from Afghanistan in 17 days. This will complete his third, year long, deployment in the last eight years. I am forever grateful for the sacrifices he has made. Countless "firsts" that he missed. Days, weeks, months, that he spent away from his family. I grew up on an Army post; I have spent countless hours, days, months around the soldiers willing to put their lives on the line to give us the freedoms we so often take for granted. All of my childhood friends grew up in this same atmosphere and we all share this same bond.

I went to college on a ROTC scholarship; several of my classmates are still serving in the Army; some at Ft. Hood. One in partcular that was in the bulding where the shooting took place last week. I am deeply sadden when any soldier makes the ultimate sacrifice, even more so when it happens stateside.

Take time to reflect. Take time to say thanks. Take time to enjoy your freedoms. I know I will when I am running freely in the streets.

7 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Wishing your Dad a safe journey home! We all appreciate the sacrifices he and all other servicemen and -women make for us.

Happy Veterans Day to all of our people in uniform and may this be the last one spent in conflict.

Does your Dad get to stay home for a while now?

Georgia Snail said...

Thanks G. Yes, after 33 years of service, the US Army has approved his retirement and he will retire in August.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

That is GREAT news, GS!

Salute him for me and give him my heart-felt thanks for his years of service!

Unknown said...

A huge thanks to your dad, and your entire family...it takes sacrifices by the whole family I'm sure. I'm glad he's retiring soon!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Yay to your dad! I am truly thankful for all of our armed troops that allow me to have the freedoms I have.

Go GS's DAD!!!!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Re: Your "Dirty Moose" question:

I have oft wondered that myself.

Unknown said...

www0707
kobe bryant shoes
swarovski outlet
kate spade outlet
bcbg dresses
freshjive clothing
prada outlet
san antonio spurs jerseys
polo ralph lauren
uggs
coach outlet store online