Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I'm going to the Top of the World!

A little less than a month away, the SweetH20 50k is rapidly approaching!



Photo courtesy of DCRR website


I am really looking forward to this race, all of the training is setting me up for a great day out on the trails with a bunch of awesome, talented runners. Seldom do you get a chance to run with 250 like minded individuals; we will share the trails at Sweetwater Creek State Park and all come away stronger. Stronger in our bond as trail runners and stronger as people. This race really forces you to push into that dark, unknown place. A place we seldom see and a place most do not like to explore.


Not to be overly melodramatic but last year at this race I was forced to come face to face with the "Running Is Stupid Committee" and overcome some huge obstacles; literally & figuratively. The second loop-that second pass through the gas & power lines, really brought me to a point where I didn't know if I could continue, but I knew that somehow I must. I pushed through, finished, and came away with a new understanding of myself. It is this exact result that I have since relied upon in my everyday life. When a situation gets really difficult, I am able to push through and know that it won't last and I will survive. Far greater writers have done an amazing job of translating this feeling into words - but I get it. I know it inside and am grateful to have the ability to go out and deepen that experience.


I am putting a lot of miles in the bank, last week going over the 40 mile mark for the first time this year. This being my second year running ultras, I am beginning to feel a little more comfortable with the mileage and am now working on improving my time on trail. Having taken the time to really focus on nutrition and weight loss I am seeing great progress. LOL, who would have thought that losing 20 pounds would make me that much of a better runner!?!?! I have another 3 1/2 hour long run on the schedule this weekend and then I will begin a two week taper. (I think - gotta check with the Crackhead) Let's do this!

photo courtesy of P. Sebastian


photo coutresy of C. Ralston

photo courtesy of A. Ligon

_______________________________________
3/21/2011
Weight - 185.4 (down 15.6 YTD - 5.4 lbs to race day goal)

Training Schedule
Mo - Rest
Tu - 1:15 hilly run
We - 30 min easy
Th - trackwork
Fr - rest
Sa - 1:19 trail run
Su - 3:30 long run

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a test for sure!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

This race really forces you to push into that dark, unknown place. A place we seldom see and a place most do not like to explore.

LooMoo? O, Escargot! That's exactly how she used to sound when she talked about anal!1! Way to make me remember ... and CRY LIKE A GIRL GETTING ANAL!1!

The Sean said...

*(wow)

anyway- Looks like you are right on track with your weight loss goals. I think you'll see a huge difference on the hills especially.

I think you'd better find a 5k to go smash your PR btw...

Wes said...

hahaha... I remember running on those trails. GOOD STUFF! Looking forward to hearing about your successes :-)

Turbo Photographs said...

Hope that water crossing is nice and cold for ya!!! Congrats on the weight loss, too, buddy. That's awesome. I hope I can post a double digit loss in the next couple months. Cavewoman too fat :)

Kate Geisen said...

Those are some great looking trails! I can't wait to hear all about it. I know what you mean about pushing through when it seems impossible (and now Glaven's comment is making everything I say feel dirty), although the distances that punish me are still a LOT shorter than the ones you'll be covering.

chris mcpeake said...

way to get those miles in. NIce looking trails.

Will Schmidt said...

Great work. Looking forward to your race report!

Anne said...

Yikes. That downhill would keep me awake at night. Best of luck in the final weeks of training.

Jason said...

sounds like your training & discipline is paying great health dividends for you.

Good stuff bro! Keep doing what you are doing.

KovasP said...

Those last photos remind me of the Leadville course!

Jason said...

Can't wait to hit the trails at Sweet H2O this year! Here's to Top Of The World again.

Nitmos said...

That sure looks like a challenge. Better your quads than mine. Good luck!

joyRuN said...

Your peak long run in training for a 50k is 3.5 hours? That's what it takes for me to cover my 20 miler.

I would sooo never survive a 50k.

Joe said...

Great prep. I just finished a 33.5 mile race on Saturday and know about pushing thru. AND the real lesson for me was the necessity of the weekly miles to enjoy this distance... good for you.

Enjoy the rest of the prep!

Hone said...

You ultra guys are nuts!

A bit of advice though...tapering is for the birds. It makes you lazy on race day. Maybe just taper out a couple of day but 2 weeks is a bit much.

About Muriel said...

inspiring post...great to see all your goals being met and then some. congrats!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Wow, this looks awesome!!! I've never seen your blog before but happy that you commented on mine so I could find yours! Thanks for the comment. Looking forward to reading more. :) Oh, and i'm always that high or hyper...I'm just high energy! ha ha! :) Well, not always that high I guess.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely up for a trail run.

I am typically in town Monday -Thursday and work until 5 or 6 so it would have to be an evening (Mon, Tue, Wed) run.

jamesdavid (at) sbcglobal (dot) net