Wednesday, February 23, 2011

And He Was Running...

There is an ultrarunner by the name of John Price, who recently departed Venice Beach, CA, beginning his trans-continental trek to Virginia Beach, VA. You can follow his progress here.



I am SO fascinated by the idea of running across the U.S. I had first heard of the concept as a kid, but my first real exposure to the actual process was back in 2003, when recent college grad's, Scott Sehon & Dave Bronfenbrenner completed their run from New Jersey to Oregon. They had a website tracking their progress and I logged on every day following them. Two friends, running across the country with a baby jogger, relying on the kindness of strangers. How awesome is that?

I have followed the progress of several other trans-con runs over the years, most recently was the trip of Patrick McGlade. He left California on New Year's Day, 2010 and ran to Tybee Island, GA. Being he was finishing in my home town I was excited to follow his progress and see him run through Savannah.

Bjorn Suneson has to be the most interesting story that I never had a chance to follow. On July 18th of last year, Holly said, "Let's go to Tybee." Okay, sounds fun. We loaded up the beach gear and headed out. As we were driving the 15 or so miles to the beach I saw a guy running along the road pushing a baby jogger. I knew he didn't have a child in there and I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder where he started his run." I figured it was a guy training for a long run, or perhaps running across the state. For a moment I contemplated the fact that he could be running a trans-con run. "Nah, he would have some sort of entourage, he's almost finished."

About an hour later we were in the ocean playing around when I looked up to the beach and there was my new friend with his baby jogger! There were a few young people(turns out it was his children) clapping and taking pictures. They put a lei around his neck and gave him a bottle of champagne. He took off his shoes & jumped in the ocean. After he played around a few minutes, curiosity got the best of me, so I waded over to him. "Hi, I'm Thomas. What are you celebrating?" He told me his name was Bjorn and he just ran from Seattle, running across the U.S. the second time in his life! I was amazed by this trip, but even more amazed at how low-key the finish turned out, no pomp & circumstance, just Bjorn & his family.



My Sweetest Boo & I have talked about this idea for a while now and I would one day like to complete a run across the U.S. The logistics can be as simple or as complicated as I want. The basic premise is 3000 miles coast to coast. How do I want to cover them? 25-30 miles a day. 5-6 hours of running per day, probably with a baby jogger holding supplies. Maybe with someone in a support vehicle. We've always talked about buying an R.V. upon our retirement and traveling the country, a run like this would have to wait until I am retired or closer to retirement...so who knows. Right now I'm just putting it out there.




Here is a link to a comprehensive list to those who have completed a tran-con trek by foot.


____________________________________________________
2/21/11
Weight 189.0 (down 1.0 from last week; 12 pounds on the year)

Training Schedule
Su - 2:30 long run
Mo - Rest
Tu - 60 minutes - hills
We - 30 minutes - zone 1
Th - Trackwork
Fr - Rest
Sa - 9 miles progression - follow pacing for next week's half mary
Su - 1:30 long run

19 comments:

misszippy said...

I think it would be totally cool! Let us know when you've cemented your plans...

Tricia said...

congrats on the loss

SteveQ said...

When I first started serious running, a postman from Georgia (Gary Cantrell?) ran across the US in record time, but it wasn't recognized for years, because he didn't document his run very well. I remember him saying he averaged 80 miles per day until he hit the Rocky Mountains... and I spent months thinking "80 miles, every single day?"

The Sean said...

I remember following Scott and Dave in 2003. If I remember correctly they even stopped in Boulder and raced some pretty fast times during a "break" period. Very cool... You should talk to Abi Meadows, who you have probably met. She ran across TN last summer.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Wow. Congrats to Bjorn Suneson. That's pretty inspiring, more so because he was so low-key about it. I myself would never be tempted to try, of course. That goes without saying, but I thought I should write it.

A few years ago, Teh 'Bride, who gives not a flip for running, found this program she DVR'd named Running the Sahara, whose plot is in its title: Three dudes who decided to run across the Sahara Desert. I expected to be awed and inspired by these guys.

But they were such self-centered and -important dicks - especially the leader guy, to call whom an egotistical douche-satchel would be an insult to douches, satchels, and egotists the world over - that I just kept muttering "What a total DICK!" for the last 45 minutes of the movie. Actually, I was saying it out loud to Teh 'B., who was (less loudly) agreeing with me entirely. I'd say it wasn't an afterthought to have themselves filmed doing this; it was probably the point. I suspect the leader guy has a film crew follow him into the bathroom because his dumps, in his mind, are of World Historical Importance, each more Significant than the last.

Needless to say, I was not inspired.

But a guy who accomplishes the equivalent of that feat without being a self-centered dick about it?

Definitely inspiring.

My advice to YOU, P. Escargot: If you do this thing, just don't be a DICK about it!

Second bit of advice: Delete All Bulls**t, No Running from your blog-roll, because no way the douche-satchel who wrote that is coming back.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

ZOMG!1! Hahahahahahaha! Thanks for the RtS update, Peachy! I have to tell Teh 'Bride! That made my day! O, Karma, Thy Name is Charlie Engle, Professional Douche-Satchel!

Hahahahahaha!

Kate said...

Very cool. I (at this point, though I keep doing things I had no previous interest in doing, so who knows) have no interest in running across the country, but bicycling across the country is a dream of mine. I've read a couple of books by Joe Kurmaskie, who did just that...towing his kids! I'm not sure I'm that crazy (and two of my three are big enough to tow ME), but I'd love to go on my own with some friends.

SteveQ said...

I checked, it was Stan Cottrell I was thinking of. He ended up avaeraging 64 miles per day and his record was broken less than a month later (1980).

ajh said...

A truly awesome goal!

Andrew Opala said...

That is an interesting goal ... you'd need more than a pair of shoes and at least a sandwich or two!

Muriel said...

I know one runner who ran accross the USA, actually the youngest female runner to do so. She got funding and sponsorship to help her along the way. Also tons of people reached out to run with her. You can read about her journey here: [ http://www.paveyourlane.com/profile/PaveYourLane ]. Sounds like it could be a chance of a lifetime experience. Cool!

Her Name Is Rio said...

I think that would be a challenging yet rewarding experience. I'd love to be able to tell people that I know a GeorgiaSnail who did a trans-con run!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I've thought about it a little, but I don't think I would have the guts. It would be awesome to watch you guys go for it!

Nitmos said...

There are so many poeple running across country these days I wonder...do they high five each other when passing in Missouri??

Kovas said...

Running or cycling, both dreams of mine as well. Thanka for all the info!

Wes said...

what Glavine said ;-)

Alan (Pounds Off Playoff) said...

My cousin's boyfriend just ran across America to honor fallen soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan. I blogged about him twice. Here's the follow-up post, with a link to the original post. http://www.poundsoffplayoff.com/2010/10/project-america-run-finishes-today.html

Al's CL Reviews said...

There is a stroke survivor Mycle Brandy who did it last year.
Congrats on your loss.

Jenn said...

Fascinating! Quite an accomplishment and would be so enjoyable to follow you if you do it!